Monday, January 14, 2013

Why use a PLN you ask?

This past Thursday we got the opportunity to have John Evans as a guest speaker. This session was one of, if not the most valuable I have ever been part of in my educational learning. The main topic of the day was Personal Learning Networks (or PLN's for short) so that is what I am going to look at. 

The first point is how people need to be more focused on their professional learning rather than their professional development. Learning is a lifelong activity and there is no one in this world that has learned "everything". Development, however, considers there to be an endpoint which is the target for success. If one reaches that target they are "successful". As time progresses though, everything changes from places to find information and resources, to technological advances. There will be a lot of good information to be used, but there will also be a lot of useless information. If a person goes on the journey solo, they have a great deal of filtering to do before finding what they need, and ensuring it is valid. This is where the PLN comes in. 

Through a PLN, one can continue to advance their learning with time, but it also cuts down on the amount of work they have to do. Why do it on your own if you can have help? Think smarter, not harder! 

2 comments:

  1. I remember hearing about PLNs at the start of first year and not really getting it, but just makes so much sense now. After pillaging the internet for resources throughout three placements I'm so thankful that people have decided to share things. I hope I can also be a lesson/life-saver for other teachers by sharing my stuff too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, let me start by telling you that I love your blog name. The alliteration just rolls off the tongue!

    You highlighted a good point about there not being an "endpoint" when it comes to learning. As teachers we should never think of ourselves as having arrived at "teaching" perfection. As you stated, there will always be new technologies to learn about and new educational practices to adapt to. It is also true that collaborative learning helps lighten the work load. I know that I have saved time by asking Tyler for help with my blog.

    ReplyDelete