Wednesday, February 27, 2013

My digital footprint...

Having a digital footprint is very important for me being a pre-service teacher that will soon be on the hunt for a job. If a principal or administrator looks me up on the internet, they should be able to get a good idea of who I am as a person and a professional from what they find about me. With that being said, I (and all other pre-service teachers) need to ensure that what they will find about us is what we want them to see... a high-achieving professional, not an immature 'hooligan'.

Now... let's see what we can find about me!

Google: At the very bottom of page 1 is a link to my Twitter account, and on page 2 I am mentioned in an obituary. Under Google Images, nothing comes up.

Dogpile: On page 1 I found 2 posts I had made on a snowmobile forum, that is all.

Yahoo: Page 1 I had a post a made to a snowmobile forum, that is all.


So what did I learn from doing this? Well, I learned a lot in a very little.
I learned that there is next to nothing about me on the internet when you search my name (and nothing of relevance).
I learned my Gido (grandpa) Steve Melnyk who is 97 YEARS OLD has more about him on the internet than I do (since he has a house in Brandon and it is listed on Canada411 and other sites).

In these next few months I have a lot of work to do to get my online presence to the point I want it to be. If I keep building up my PLN, I'm sure that will make it that much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment