Tuesday, February 19, 2013

To Tweet or not to Tweet

Well, I have to say, my whole thoughts of Twitter have change since I started #I4Ed. The only real question in my mind right now is, why did I wait so long to start?!

My First Impressions... Link

My first impressions of the site was it was basically like a character-counted version of Facebook. I also went on to think it was more for people to share their life stories and every minute happenings such as  "going out to take the dog for the walk" or "in the bathroom, having problems". I also thought the only real people to follow were celebrities or professional athletes, which I had no interest in either.



Now that time has passed and I have taken some time to browse through Twitter and follow some peers and educators we had present in our I4Ed class, I have split my Twitter mindset into three categories: professional, personal, and recreational. Professional is the category where past and present University Prof's are, as well as teachers, administrators, and even certain websites (ie education.com). Personal covers peers, friends, and even coworkers. Any companies, groups, and athletes I follow would go under recreational. Even thought they are not categorized when I go onto Twitter, as I read through the new tweets I'm always thinking "professional...professional...personal...recreational...professional" and visualizing each going into their 'folder'.

 Link
Moving forward from now, there are a few things I want to do to make use of the full potential of Twitter. The first is to learn more about hashtags. I still do not know fully what the purpose of them is, so that is on my to do list. Second is just to tweet more often and link to certain sites and ideas. This I'm sure will come easier when I am out teaching and have more resources coming in and out.


Final comment: Follow me! @melnyksteven

7 comments:

  1. LOL excellent points Mr. M!
    I would like to point out the 'lists' feature of twitter, which allows you to group people into categories of your choice. You may like this feature for your professional, personal and recreational categories. Happy Tweeting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hashtags are an easy way to make things searchable. If you click one, it'll take you to a page with all the tweets containing it. There are a lot of education and subject area hashtags we can check out to see what like-minded people are tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in line with your thoughts here Mr. T! Before this class I pretty well said I would never join Twitter. But now that I have (and since writing my own post about Twitter) I a, definitely starting to see the benefits! I used to think just what you did; just another place for people to tell us what they are doing throughout the day. But now that I have explored, I can see why people like it, especially educators! There are so many resources you can find, on any topic! Having said that, tweeting is another story for me. I will admit I have only tweeted once. I need to commit more to that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I joined Twitter in the first semester of Ed last year because Mike made us in his ICT class. Since then I have come to really love it. I also mentally file tweets in categories. Most of those I follow would be filed under "professional" and I certainly don't follow any celebs (don't have time or patience for them). I have also become more accustomed to tweeting resources or links to articles or blog postings I like, but I'm still not very consistent with that.
    Hashtags are, as I see them, a way to label your tweet, a kind of filing system. For instance, if you tweet "Having a blast studying" you could hashtag it with #sarcasm, so your followers know that you really aren't enjoying studying. Some people over hashtag their tweets though #SoAnnoying!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always just assumed it was a newer facebook to, and also thought that it was going to have a lot of 'Dear Diary' moments. However, after using it I found that it was one massive teacher's resource kit, all bundled up within 140 characters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think hashtags often 'make' the tweet. I especially love sarcastic hashtags. I've heard of the 'list' feature on Twitter but haven't utilized it. It seems as though it would make things more organized but I haven't figured it out yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like I am in the same boat as you Steve. I am wondering why it took me soo long to join twitter. I'm checking almost as much as facebook now...so I guess you could say I'm a little addicted. I have also explored many other educators' twitter pages which have been helpful with blog posts.

    ReplyDelete